It seems very interesting to find out that there are many problems that come about when we speak of education. The blogs that I have talked about contribute to the issues that we come face to face with, especially as parents. As this is the last blog for the course EDU 473, my main concern now, would be of how I will focus on the fact that my daughter has just gotten out of surgery 3 days ago and that I go back to work after 2 weeks and that school is not too far away. "How will she be able to do what she used to do in school? This is just a concern that will elapse into an issue when the new school year begins in September. Ok...let's take a look back at to what goes on with the department of social and health services also known as DSHS here in WA.
I am a mother of two children ages 11 and 7 now and I have had childcare assistance through the state when I began working in 2010. Throughout that time, I was able to afford childcare at the minimum wage, but as time progressed and my opportunities have stretched, minimum wage was no longer the case. In 2011, I then worked at another retail company along with a private preschool where I then became the office manager in which I earned a higher paying wage than what I was earning from previous work. With the income coming in from two jobs, DSHS said I was no longer qualified to receive subsidy's from the state to help pay for childcare. So, with that, I had to quit my retail position and focus on the manager position which did have a good pay at the time. I was then reconsidered after I updated DSHS and that I also have a child with special needs. As time went by, it was ok for a while until I was offered another position at another preschool with an even higher pay. Again, I had to update DSHS with the new position and income. It looked like I was still eligible for subsidy but my copay was 200% higher than what I was paying. I knew I couldn't afford it so I pulled my kids out of childcare and decided to start picking them up from school. I actually enjoyed coming out of work to be with my kids, as I know this is what most parents would enjoy doing. For that time, I worked only 6 hours a day until we had moved to another city and went back to full time at the start of the second semester. With the new school, the bus was able to pick up and drop my kids off right at the front of our apartment complex which made it convenient for them and myself. The part where I now find myself lingering through the air is how or what should I do now that my youngest daughter will be in elementary by herself while her sister is in middle school?...Do I go back down to working 6 hours a day or should I have my kids back in after school childcare? I know that I have worked my way up into self sufficiency and not rely on state and local assistance anymore, but is there a need to go back to it? Another question I ask myself is, will my daughters 504 plan and the school be willing to accommodate her current situation? There are still questions that come in and out of mind when I think about it and how will I can get help. As time goes by, developing a plan that will go hand in hand with my busy schedule and hers will surely be one skill that I can gain.
Finding the right accommodation for your child who has special needs is something to clearly think about as a single parent, especially when you are the one who takes care of everything. Parents become concerned of what will affect their children and the activities that go on in school. I know for a fact though, that the school is committed to doing every possible thing for my daughter and that I hope every school finds a way to accommodate certain situations. (Updates to follow)
Daisy Quitugua
Your concerns about your special need’s child express what we call reality. Reality is the state or quality of being actual or true. Reality to me defines what has truth and value. It’s how we deal with and associate the realness of issues within our daily lives.
ReplyDeleteIn your blog, you touched on so many different issues such as: special needs children, parental involvement and afterschool care. Being a single mom is tough business and it can be very challenging, especially with two children. You raised a valid point, parents should be concerned as to how our education, economic system and special alternative programs relates to our children. Parents must do what you are doing and this is analyzing your current situation and its long term effects.
The Individuals with Disability Act (IDEA) ensure that children with disabilities have the opportunity to receive free appropriate education. This is a powerful act for children with disabilities. It is a well thought out plan of implementation. By reading and educating yourself on the laws and regulations of IDEA is a great start because it makes you aware of what your child’s exact needs are and what they are entitled to and why local practices in schools and in early childhood settings are as they are. There are two parts to the laws of IDEA: Part C of IDEA-Early Intervention for babies and toddlers (Birth-3). Part B of IDEA-Services for school aged children. Children and youth (Ages 3-22). Since your child is around seven years old, naturally she would fit under Part C.
Your concerns are real because of the love that you have for your child. As parents, we all want the best for our children. We have to know our rights and our voices have to be heard throughout education because we are the advocates for our children and our students. The more we educate and become aware of the needed issues in life, the more we can be able to empower knowledge and in the long run, the better off we will be.